The it4forest team employs a range of key technologies in its lab activities. We are experienced in the application of vertical, nadir, oblique, and horizontal near-field remote sensing methods in forest environments. We focus on the use of multispectral remote sensing using UAV payloads for a new forester’s perspective from above. We work with the latest generation mobile handheld scanner technologies for horizontal remote sensing.
Key Technologies at our disposal
Wearable laser scanning technology ZEB Horizon
The handheld tool and subsequent 3D analysis of point clouds are used in the team for forest inventories, segmentation and extraction of tree shapes and other handheld horizontal scanning applications of features in the world around you. With a range of up to 100m scanning distance, the ZEB Horizon allows lightweight and efficient scanning, capturing and processing discrete 3D point clouds of forest environments. i.e. Example of the Martelloscope point cloud.
FIND OUT MORE
Various DJI and Hexacopter UAV platforms with different payloads
The team works with a range of UAV inlcuding DJI Phantom 4 RTK, DJI Mavic pro 2 and DJI mini2 and DJI Phantom.
The team uses these powerful L1/L2 RTK GNSS receiver for centimeter-level accurate real-time positioning for measuring ground control points (GCPs) for UAV survey flights as well as for forest inventories. Both RTK systems combine an L1/L2 GNSS board, an LTE modem, a Bluetooth module with antenna, a memory card and a rechargeable battery.
List of selected software and tools
- Pix4d education license with 20 student licenses – Processing digital images and generates 3D spatial data.
- Agisoft Metashape – Processing digital images and generates 3D spatial data.
- Cloud compare 3D point cloud and mesh processing software an Open Source Project
- QGIS The most frequent free and Open Source Geographic Information System for Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD and mobile devices
- ESRI ARCMAP education licenses the conventional ArcGIS Desktop application o create maps, perform spatial analysis, manage geographic data, and share your results.